Every commercial website owner strives to ensure that their online platform not only attracts visitors, but also turns them into active customers. This is achieved by increasing the conversion rate – the percentage of visitors who complete a targeted action, such as purchasing a product. In this article, we’ll cover not only the basics of conversion, but also the most important strategies for increasing it.
Understanding Website Conversion
Website conversion is a key indicator of online business performance. It measures how successfully a resource converts visitors into customers. Using an online store as an example, conversion is expressed as the percentage of the number of visitors who made a purchase to the total number of visitors.
The goal of any online store is to maximize conversion. Low conversion may indicate problems in the sales process or the offer is not attractive enough. On average, a conversion rate of 10% to 20% is considered good, but even 5% is considered acceptable.
Reasons for Low Conversion
- Attracting visitors who are not interested in your product.
- Prices higher than those of competitors may deter potential buyers.
- Inconvenient ordering and delivery conditions and lack of convenience may affect conversion.
- The Wrong Virus Funnel
- Difficulties in finding products on the site due to incorrect category hierarchy.
Sometimes the reasons are less significant, such as the lack of detailed product descriptions or reviews, which forces visitors to turn to competitors. Even the color of a button can influence a purchase decision.
Subtleties of Increasing Conversions
- Contextual advertising. One of the effective ways to quickly attract quality traffic to your website is to use contextual advertising. These are paid advertisements that target a specific audience to help attract potential buyers.
- Social media. Actively developing brand pages on social networks and placing contextual advertising on them can not only increase traffic, but also improve interaction with customers. Today’s consumers expect a strong brand presence on social media.
- Link building. Placing links on a resource on third-party sites through link building is an effective method of promotion. Typically, such links are placed in advertising articles on blogs and online publications.
- A/B Testing of Design. Sometimes small details like the color and placement of a target button can have a significant impact on a purchase decision. Carrying out A/B testing of the design allows you to determine the optimal parameters.
- Discounts and Special Offers. Buyers are always happy to save money. Offering discounts and special offers can encourage purchases and increase conversions.
Beyond the basic strategies, there are many additional approaches that can significantly increase online store conversion.
- Quality content is an integral part of a successful online store. Detailed product descriptions, attractive images and real customer reviews can convince the visitor of the right choice. Creating unique and informative content not only helps to increase trust, but also improves rankings in search engines.
- Using personalized offers and recommendations can significantly increase your likelihood of making a purchase. Analyzing visitor behavior and providing personalized discounts or product recommendations that match preferences makes interaction with the site more pleasant and attractive.
- Complex and lengthy checkout processes can cause you to abandon your purchase. Streamlining this process, including minimizing the number of steps, automating data completion and offering convenient payment methods, significantly reduces the risk of losing a client at the transaction completion stage.
- Videos showing products in action can significantly increase trust and attract buyers’ attention. This form of content allows you to talk in more detail about the characteristics of the product and answer possible questions, which contributes to the purchase decision.
- Using chatbots to communicate with website visitors can improve customer service and provide instant answers to their questions. This creates an additional level of convenience and can be a factor in increasing conversions.
- Loyalty programs and bonus accumulation systems can be an additional incentive for regular customers. Providing discounts or bonuses for every purchase can motivate people to return and make new transactions.
- Analysis of data on refusals (leaving the site without making a purchase) allows you to identify weaknesses in the operation of the online store. Retargeting campaigns aimed at visitors who left a site without purchasing can help bring them back and complete the transaction.
The importance of mobile and analytics
About half of users visit websites from mobile devices, making mobile optimization a key factor. An unsatisfactory mobile version can lead to a loss of visitors and reduced conversions. Optimized is not only the need of the hour, but also an important component of a successful online strategy.
To successfully increase conversions, it is important to carefully monitor statistics and user behavior. Using analytics tools helps collect specific data about visitors and their interactions with the site. This provides the basis for conversion optimization based on specific facts and trends.
Effectively increasing conversion in an online store requires an integrated approach. Additional strategies such as improving content, personalized marketing, and simplifying the checkout process can significantly improve performance. It’s important to continually test new methods, analyze data, and adapt to changes in consumer behavior to achieve maximum effectiveness.